Course length: 3 hours 34 minutes
CE credits: 3.5
Description: This course consists of 2 webinars that focus on how to identify and treat secret moral emotions.
Unmasking the Secret Moral Emotions: In the first part of this webinar, the focus is on the secret moral emotions that are rarely admitted and often denied. Dr Lynch teaches about moral judgments, transgressions, and the emotions shame, humiliation, and embarrassment, and introduces the negative moral emotions envy, contempt and disgust. The second part of the webinar dives deeper into the ‘big three’ of the negative moral emotions: envy, contempt and disgust. Dr Lynch teaches you how to differentiate between these social emotions using clinical examples, and explains why it matters to be able to recognize these emotions when it comes to overcontrolled clients. Webinar Duration: 1 hour and 50 minutes
Treatment of the Negative Moral Emotions: In this webinar Dr Lynch uses a video role-play example to teach you, step by step, how to conduct a chain and solution analysis to treat negative moral emotions such as envy, bitterness and resentment and problematic behaviors such as secretly sabotaging. Webinar Duration: 1 hour and 44 minutes
At the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Differentiate between shame and humiliation
- Differentiate between envy, jealousy, resentment, contempt, disgust and anger
- Identify micro-expressions of negative moral emotions using verbal and non-verbal cues
- Analyze the chain of events moment-to-moment leading to the Social-Signaling Problem Behavior using the step by step protocol in Appendix 7 from the RO DBT Textbook
- Identify solutions from the RO DBT Skills Manual that might prevent future occurrences of the problem behavior
Recommended Reading Materials:
- Radically Open Dialectical Behavior Therapy: Theory and Practice for Treating Disorders of Overcontrol (T. Lynch, 2018; published by New Harbinger)
- The Skills Training Manual for Radically Open Dialectical Behavior Therapy: A Clinician’s Guide for Treating Disorders of Overcontrol (T. Lynch, 2018; published by New Harbinger)
These books will be used throughout the training as reference works.
Certificate/Letter of Completion: To obtain a certificate of completion you must view all videos, answer at least 80% of the quiz questions correctly and complete the online evaluation form. You will be able to download your certificate of completion stating 3.5 CE credits immediately via your account on the website. Please note: ACE and APA credit is not awarded for prerequisite reading, homework, assignments, supervision, and consultation.
Accreditation: we are accredited by the American Psychological Association and the Approved Continuing Education board of the Association of Social Work Boards.
Conflicts of interest: We don’t receive any direct commercial support for our training company RO DBT Online B.V. However, Dr. Thomas Lynch, the RO DBT treatment developer and chief RO DBT trainer, receives royalty fees for the RO DBT Textbook and Skills Manual from New Harbinger publishers. He is married to Mrs Erica Smith-Lynch, co-owner and director or Radically Open Ltd and RO DBT Online B.V.
Tip: You can download a Syllabus with a full list of all webinars, durations, and homework assignments here