This course ‘Radical Openness and Self-enquiry in Radically Open Dialectical Behavior Therapy’ is part of the larger Level 2 RO DBT Blended Learning Course. Completion of this course and other Level 2 courses is required to obtain a full certificate of completion for Level 2.
Entry Requirements: You must have completed Level 1 of the RO DBT Blended Learning Course or have attended Part 1 of an Intensive Training course.
In the first part of this webinar, Dr Lynch defines the core concept of Radical Openness and explains how to know you are closed when you think you are open. He provides tips for identifying closed-mindedness and explains how to ask your friends for a little help with this. Dr Lynch will explain how to use the Flexible-Mind DEF skill from Lesson 1 of the skills training manual.
In the second part, Dr Lynch explains the concepts of self-enquiry and outing oneself, and how we can cultivate healthy self-doubt. Self-enquiry is a core RO DBT skill and Dr Lynch explains how it can be done in the heat of the moment, with a partner, or by yourself with the help of a self-enquiry journal. You will learn how to locate your edge and what the role is of the listener when someone else is doing a self-enquiry practice. Dr Lynch will also provide commentary on two videos: the first shows a partner self-enquiry demonstration and the second video demonstrates how self-enquiry can be integrated into a therapy session.
Webinar Duration: 1 hour 45 minutes
CE credits: 1.75
- Use the ‘Tips for Identifying Closed-Mindedness’ to assess whether you are being closed-minded.
- Apply the ‘Flexible-Mind DEFinitely skill to teach Radically Open living’ to your clients.
- Apply the ‘Step by Step Protocol for Self-Enquiry In the Heat of the Moment’ during challenging or emotionally charged social interactions
- List the three different ways in which self-enquiry can be done
Recommended Reading Materials:
- Radically Open Dialectical Behavior Therapy: Theory and Practice for Treating Disorders of Overcontrol (T. Lynch, 2018; published by New Harbinger)
- The Skills Training Manual for Radically Open Dialectical Behavior Therapy: A Clinician’s Guide for Treating Disorders of Overcontrol (T. Lynch, 2018; published by New Harbinger)
These books will be used throughout the training as reference works.
Certificate/Letter of Completion: To obtain a certificate of completion you must view all videos, answer at least 80% of the quiz questions correctly and complete the online evaluation form. You will be able to download your certificate of completion stating 1.75 CE credits immediately via your account on the website. Please note: ACE and APA credit is not awarded for prerequisite reading, homework, assignments, supervision, and consultation.
Accreditation: we are accredited by the American Psychological Association and the Approved Continuing Education board of the Association of Social Work Boards.
Conflicts of interest: We don’t receive any direct commercial support for our training company RO DBT Online B.V. However, Dr. Thomas Lynch, the RO DBT treatment developer and chief RO DBT trainer, receives royalty fees for the RO DBT Textbook and Skills Manual from New Harbinger publishers. He is married to Mrs Erica Smith-Lynch, co-owner and director or Radically Open Ltd and RO DBT Online B.V.
Tip: You can download a Syllabus with a full list of all webinars, durations, and homework assignments here