Course length: – to be confirmed
CE credits: – to be confirmed
Created/launched: March 2022
Description: This course consists of several webinars that focus on how to run skills classes in RO DBT:
- Part 1: Using The RO DBT Treatment Hierarchy And Skills Training Manual. In this webinar, Dr Lynch teaches you how to use the RO Skills Training Treatment Hierarchy as a guide to help conduct a class and he will provide specific instructions on how to structure RO skills classes and effectively use the RO Skills Training Manual. Webinar Duration: 1 hour and 12 minutes
- Part 2: Making Skills Classes Fun, Teaching Skills Effectively, and Reviewing Homework. In this webinar, Dr Lynch teaches you how to make RO Skills Training Classes engaging and fun. He teaches the core RO DBT teaching principles needed to maximize outcomes, encourage participation, and flexibly respond to questions and how these principles manifest in real-life. Finally, Dr Lynch will teach you how to effectively review homework in class—RO style! Webinar Duration: 1 hour and 10 minutes
- Part 3: Using Heat-On and Heat-off Strategies, Dealing with Quiet Classrooms, and Managing Non-Participation during Participating without Planning exercises. In this webinar Dr Lynch teaches you how to use Heat-On and Heat-Off strategies in class to maximize engagement, class participation, and shape skills usage. Dr Lynch also teaches you how to deal with quiet classrooms, and how to manage a class member who refuses to participate in a Participation without Planning practice. Webinar Duration: 1 hour and 14 minutes
- Part 4: TBC – Dr Lynch is still working on this.
- Part 5: TBC – Dr Lynch is still working on this.
At the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Use the RO Skills Training Treatment Hierarchy as a guide to help conduct a RO skills training class.
- Use the RO Skills Training Manual to teach your clients skills and structure RO skills classes effectively.
- Apply key principles to maximize client attendance when orienting OC clients about the importance of RO skills training
- Apply therapeutic silliness during skills training classes to viscerally signal that it is socially acceptable to play, relax, and openly express emotions to others.
- Apply core RO DBT teaching principles to encourage skills class participation and flexibly respond to questions.
- Organize homework review during RO skills training classes using RO principles to maximize effectiveness.
- Apply Heat-On and Heat-Off strategies in class to maximize engagement, class participation, and shape skills usage
- Use RO strategies to re-engage an RO skills class that has suddenly gone quiet.
- Use mimicry and therapeutic teasing strategies to manage a client who refuses to participate in a Participating without Planning exercise.
Certificate/Letter of Completion: To obtain a certificate of completion you must view all videos, answer at least 80% of the quiz questions correctly and complete the online evaluation form. You will be able to download your certificate of completion stating ??? CE credits (to be confirmed) via your account on the website. Please note: ACE and APA credit is not awarded for prerequisite reading, homework, assignments, supervision, and consultation.
Accreditation: we are accredited by the American Psychological Association and the Approved Continuing Education board of the Association of Social Work Boards.
Conflicts of interest: We don’t receive any direct commercial support for our training company RO DBT Online B.V. However, Dr. Thomas Lynch, the RO DBT treatment developer and chief RO DBT trainer, receives royalty fees for the RO DBT Textbook and Skills Manual from New Harbinger publishers. He is married to Mrs Erica Smith-Lynch, co-owner and director or Radically Open Ltd and RO DBT Online B.V.
Tip: You can download a Syllabus with a full list of all webinars, durations, and homework assignments here