Course length: 2 hours 58 minutes
CE credits: 2.75
Description: This course consists of 2 webinars that focus on how to identify and manage the disguised demands known as pushbacks and don’t-hurt-me’s.
Dealing with Disguised Demands, Part 1: In the first webinar, Dr Lynch introduces disguised demands, aka secret desires for control. In part 1 on this topic, Dr Lynch teaches you how to recognize a pushback and how to treat it when it happens in session. Webinar Duration: 1 hour 18 minutes
Dealing with Disguised Demands, Part 2: In the second part about disguised demands, Dr Lynch teaches you how to recognize don’t hurt me behaviors and how to treat them, both in individual sessions as well as skills classes. Webinar Duration: 1 hour 41 minutes
At the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Identify when a client is engaging in pushback behavior
- Treat pushback responses when they occur in-session and teach the client skills to block plausible deniability behaviors
- Identify when a client is engaging in don’t hurt me behavior
- Treat don’t hurt me responses when they occur in-session and in skills class
- Differentiate between pushback and don’t hurt me responses
Recommended Reading Materials:
- Radically Open Dialectical Behavior Therapy: Theory and Practice for Treating Disorders of Overcontrol (T. Lynch, 2018; published by New Harbinger)
- The Skills Training Manual for Radically Open Dialectical Behavior Therapy: A Clinician’s Guide for Treating Disorders of Overcontrol (T. Lynch, 2018; published by New Harbinger)
These books will be used throughout the training as reference works.
Certificate/Letter of Completion: To obtain a certificate of completion you must view all videos, answer at least 80% of the quiz questions correctly and complete the online evaluation form. You will be able to download your certificate of completion stating 2.75 CE credits immediately via your account on the website. Please note: ACE and APA credit is not awarded for prerequisite reading, homework, assignments, supervision, and consultation.
Accreditation: we are accredited by the American Psychological Association and the Approved Continuing Education board of the Association of Social Work Boards.
Conflicts of interest: We don’t receive any direct commercial support for our training company RO DBT Online B.V. However, Dr. Thomas Lynch, the RO DBT treatment developer and chief RO DBT trainer, receives royalty fees for the RO DBT Textbook and Skills Manual from New Harbinger publishers. He is married to Mrs Erica Smith-Lynch, co-owner and director or Radically Open Ltd and RO DBT Online B.V.
Tip: You can download a Syllabus with a full list of all webinars, durations, and homework assignments here